If you do travel, you will know that getting a pre-paid SIM card that provides 3G usage for your smart phone is quite a hassle. Research aside, you got to deal with where to get those darn SIM cards, additional expenses for your 3G Internet, language barriers and deciding the “right” value of prepaid card to purchase.
To reduce your agony, here is one of the best offline map apps that is available in the market place. The name of the app is City Maps 2Go and is available for $1.99 USD at the Iphone App store and free for Android users. (Note: We posted on our facebook wall when City Maps 2Go is free to download. “like” us to get more updates like this)
City Maps 2Go Review
Being an offline map, you do not need a single drop of wifi juice to make use to this application. The app itself covers 7,800 maps, spanning across all countries and cities. You do need to download the map of the city you want first and this map will stay in your phone. This requires wifi and you should do this before your trip, at your hotel or Starbucks.
Download your map of choice. You see from this example, if you selected Taiwan, they have individual maps at for various areas. We like this because first, each map is small in file size, and you need less time to zoom and render than you would with one massive piece of map.
Add $3.98 USD to get all the places of interests to your map with their respective descriptions.
What we love about it.
1) Wikipedia plus integration. At $3.98 USD, you can purchase additional places of interests suggested by Wikipedia.
2) Places of interests. The app have places of interest in different categories showing you exactly on the map where are the restaurats, hotels, shopping malls, places of interests and so on.
3) Passive GPS. You can locate yourself without any internet or 3G on the map.
4) Drop a pin to places that you would like to go on the map. Place pins on the places you want to visit.
5) Nearby feature, basically, it shows you the places of interests near your dropped pin.
6) Search function. Enter the road name and you will get a list of related searches.
What we dislike about it.
A lack of routing feature. There is no way to route from your current destination to a place (dropped pin) on the map.
Should I get City Maps 2Go?
We love the fact that the passive GPS can locate your current position as well as the nearby feature that serve as an “emergency” should you need to get to a supermarket or check in to nearby hotels, offline. Wikipedia plus integration shows you some of the popular places of interests when you are clueless what to do next. It is a pity that there is no route function that give suggestions to the paths we should take, especially when driving. That said, this app is a great tool to use and now that it is free, we see no reason you should not get this app.